You might be surprised to know that women can start experiencing signs of peri menopause as early as 35. And whilst we often think about menopause with beautiful silver fox women, the hormonal fluctuations and changes that lead to the end of your menstrual cycle begin in a woman’s early 40’s. These changes are known as peri-menopause and with many women constantly on the go, you can easily miss the signs of perimenopause and the symptoms tend to creep up without your awareness.
Common symptoms of peri-menopause include:
- Unexplained weight gain/slow metabolism
- Insomnia with a busy mind
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Heavy bleeding
- Mood changes – depression, anxiety & irritability
- Worsening PMS and pain during menstruation
- Recurrent Candida or vaginal dysbiosis
Here at Mullen Health we believe you don’t have to suffer. We’ve helped hundreds of women transition symptom free from perimenopause to post-menopause and absolutely thrive!
And today we want to share with you 3 things we wished all women knew that no-one seems to talk about!
1. Stress dramatically worsens peri-menopause
To have a symptom free menopausal transition, we need to have a look and address the root cause of the symptoms in the first place; hormonal imbalance.
There are two hormones that come to mind when you think about menopause; progesterone & oestrogen. These hormones present during your fertile years begin to fluctuate dramatically during peri-menopause and are often labeled the culprit of your woes.The truth is whilst these hormones play an integral role, they are dramatically influenced by cortisol, your stress hormone.
When under stress your body makes a high amount of cortisol that can lower oestrogen and progesterone exacerbating peri-menopause symptoms like; depression, mood swings, fatigue, urinary infections, irregular cycles and more!
Addressing chronic stress is crucial to having well balanced hormones.
Ways to do this include;
- Daily relaxation practice
- Setting boundaries – saying no to stressful situations or events
- Utilising adaptogenic herbs that improve your stress response
- Replacing nutrients your body depletes in the presence of high cortisol
We know saying ‘Just relax!’ when your life is stressful beyond your control, is like trying to put out a bush fire with a cup of water. The good news is there is so much you can do to support your body even if you can’t remove common stressors like work or family with the help of a Naturopath.
2. Bone and muscle health is priority!
A plethora of studies have concluded that bone density and muscle strength is the single most important factor determining your longevity and mobility as you age. And i know if you’re reading this you’re not at the point of noticing mobility changes, however bone health is built in the presence of oestrogen so by the time you’re in full menopause it may be too late to build back the bone you should’ve built before or during peri-menopause.
If you want to feel youthful for the rest of your life, you need to care for your bones and muscles! You’ll be able to look after yourself and do all the activities and independent tasks that you love for decades to come by the choices you make TODAY!
- Regular strength training
- Diet changes optimising nutrients for bone & muscle growth are proven to improve bone and muscle density
If you want even more information about dietary changes for bone health read or blog post here.
3. It is possible to have a symptom free perimenopause
We’ve seen hundreds of women walk into Mullen Health struggling with a long list of peri-menopause symptoms that heal their hormones and thrive symptom-free through menopause.
Our clinic only uses practitioner-grade herbal and nutritional supplements as well as targeted lifestyle and dietary changes have been proven to drastically reduce perimenopause symptoms. If you’d like to speak with a Menopause expert today, book your FREE 15-minute phone consultation with a Naturopath here or by calling us on 02 4961 4075.
Or join our expert Naturopath’s Peter & Yvonne at our FREE Live Online Webinar on March 29th 2023, “Thriving Through Menopause: Why you don’t have to suffer”. This 45-minute webinar will cover:
- The role of progesterone & estrogen as we age;
- The root cause of perimenopause and menopause suffering and what to do about it;
- Naturopathic solutions that drastically improve your symptoms;
- Why it’s possible to have an enjoyable and smooth peri to post-menopausal transition.
- Then enjoy a LIVE Q&A with our expert Naturopaths to have your questions answered, in real time.
Registered participants also get access to the on-demand recording and a FREE Menopause e-book after the webinar.